Saturday, June 18, 2011

Interpersonal "Open" Communication - DEAD

So, after having a conversation today with one of my Sergeants (still at my Army training) who is in his 50's and from Puerto Rico originally, we came to the discussion on how the modern generation's culture does not include openness to people. Now some of you may disagree with me right off the bat and say, "no! we are friendly and open!". But you would be wrong. Our culture has become more and more secluded in terms of relations to other people. Moreso than ever, I believe we are staying within groups of people who are almost identical to us and find it difficult to be open and dare I say, "vulnerable"?

Example: You walk by someone you met once or twice or maybe someone even that you spot for the first time. You say, "hey, how are you doing?" He or she says, "not bad". There.... that's the end of the conversation. Thing is, that's cold. That's not friendly nor open. I'll use myself as an example (not trying to sound as if I am the role model for the world or anything but I think in this case, I am right). In that situation, I'll try to engage in more of a conversation unless I'm extreme busy. Like an excited, "Hey! What's up?!" Get close, make physical contact and try to get engaged in communication. But it seems like most people don't respond so well to this anymore. They seem taken back by it almost as if they don't know how to respond. Today's culture really makes us treat unknown people as outsiders. It's becoming more and more difficult to actually meet and know new people on a deeper level!

Could technology be responsible for this? Bad parenting? Probably a bit of both actually. I have a lot more to say on this topic but I just returned from a land navigation course all day and got out of a forest and ticks and maps and ughh..... I'm finished. Need to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. I'm guilty of whatever you're accusing people of in this post. When I'm walking somewhere and I see someone I know slightly and we exchange pleasantries and they stop walking, I immediately think "Crap, they want to talk." The thing is I don't mind talking, I'm just using walking...somewhere. It could be anywhere, but after walking to that somewhere I have another somewhere to be, and this wasn't in my plans. I know it sounds awful and it probably is. And I'm probably a terrible person, but admitting you have a problem is the first step, I think .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Jason, I do not think that makes you a terrible person! Maybe my post wasn't made clearly (I have not had a good nights sleep since the 9th of this month). I believe that it is the dominant culture that is the problem, not the individual people within that culture. The reason being that when we are brought up within a certain culture, aspects of our personalities or even habits are partially based off of it. Our culture in New England for example is quite cold and surprisingly (considering the fact that it is a small and calm place, even Boston in general) fast-paced. Our culture does not promote the type of closeness on passing by that I was referring to. Haha, so of course it doesn't make you a bad person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like what you said about people secluding to different groups of other similar people has been going on for a long time. People are usually friends with other people because of something they may have in common. For example i have some friends that are into cars and working on cars brings us together. or other friends share similar music tastes which brings us together. Who would want to hangout with someone who likes opposite things? im sure everyone has friends that they grew apart with because they've changed and now have nothing in common.

    ReplyDelete